Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Week Two Reading Response

The chapter in Disrupting School really hit home for me in a couple different ways.  First of all, I felt a lot like Rob when I was in school.  As I was growing up I wasnt always the biggest kid in class.  I was what many call a late bloomer.  My 6th grade teacher really saw the potential I had for mathematics and science; he challenged me to go beyond the class, teaching myself.  I remember getting through Algebra 1 in 6th grade.  However, my personal life wasnt something to be admired.  i was in trouble quite a bit and that stigma was attached to me as I went into Jr. High.  Anyway, as I went on in school I was encouraged to do sports, let my anger out on others in a competitive manner.  When I was  Junior in High School I was a bigger kid because of the path that was laid out for me, however, I hated it.  Rob struggled in school and no one gave him the time to help him do better; the teacher had 120 students in 5 classes.  I felt similar in that all people saw in me was a big dumb jock.  Not one of my teachers took the time to see someone who admired intellect and wanted to be one of the more intelligent students.  I pleaded for honors and other opportunities, but nope, I was suppose to be an athlete not a scholar.  
I loved reading the part about the young girl who was several grades behind her class and refused to read and write.  the teacher took the time to learn about her student and notice she seemed to enjoy movement.  The teacher encouraged the student to do the alphabet to dance and then sat back and watched the student take off and begin to excel.  This is why I chose to get into education.  I vowed to never let a student just sit in my class.  I will always work to find ways for every student in my class to at least have a chance to learn.  I am a teacher and therefore it is my duty to challenge all my students and provide them all an opportunity to gain self confidence.
I have to say I hate the way schools have become so focused on standards.  There are ups and downs to the standards movement, but in my opinion its not being done right.  As the chapter discussed, this has helped solidify the "traditional" methods of teaching.  Why change how things are being taught, thats the way its always been done.  This philosophy is more present in younger grades, especially mathematics.  Teachers are intimidated by math and therefore teach it only one way.  Why?  In my opinion its because they want to score well on tests.  It happens in high schools now too.  teachers know their jobs are on the line and that the principal is only interested in scores, not if the students are thinking and learning.  I know I will spend my entire career fighting this idea, but I will not ever shape my teaching around some stupid money making test.  Let me and my colleagues, in the trenches, design authentic assessment that shows thinking and progress, not memorization.
I agree in theory with the idea that teachers teach a certain way so those learners are attracted to them.  I am not here to say I am a great teacher, however, in all the years I have worked with students I have had maybe a handful that truly did not learn from my teaching style.  I have simplified it to simply showing energy and passion.  When students see the passion you have for something, and they respect you, they will do whatever they can to excel in your class.  I have had students breaking down my door at lunch to sit with me and work on their problems.  I am always trying to improve my technique and strategies, but for me, I have seen energy and passion go a lot further than trying to meet 8 different learning styles.  Much of it comes, I believe, from the relationship a teacher has with his/her students.
Perhaps it is because of the programs I have seen used in schools, or whether I am still technologically illiterate, I do not feel computer-based learning is the answer.  I just dont think that allowing students the freedom alloted in computer-based learning.  Dont get me wrong, there are benefits, but I just dont see taking out the human element of a teacher.
Finally, other than computer-based techniques, since the chapter was all about diversifying teaching techniques to accommodate more students, how do we do it?  I was thinking maybe we find the learning methods of students and match them with teachers that would help them more, instead of a random draw for who your teacher will be.  I would like to see if there is a school or research, that has looked at that idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment