Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rethinking Schools: Teachings Revolving Door (Extra Credit)

This article caught my attention simply because of the title.  I have been working in the education field for 10 years and have heard on numerous occasions the problem of holding onto new teachers.  This was my understanding of the development of BTSA.

The article addresses the issue as one that has no answers.  Teachers leave for many reasons: pay, resources, lack of respect, etc.  The article focused around low-income schools and the problems they face.  As of 2004-05 the average salary for a teacher was about $32,000, however, for high-poverty schools this amount was lower.  The students at high-poverty schools end up getting teachers that have little to no experience so they have not yet developed effective teaching strategies, and it is at these schools that creativity and experience are needed most.  As the opening biography highlighted, many teachers go into the profession dreaming of being the next Mr. Escolante from Garfield High School (reference to Stand and Deliver).  The problem is that teachers are not prepared for what they are going to experience in these schools.  A program similar to medical residencies is being explored.  This would be a one year program where teachers are trained while on the job in these schools.  Seems to be an interesting idea, and is one that is supported by President Obama.

I think it is important to try and address the issue of retention, however, I also feel that if someone does not have their heart in it they shouldn't be there.  I think the problem really starts at the recruitment level.  It seems that almost anyone can become a teacher and there is really no filtering process in place.  I have many friends who have tried to do other things in life and failed so teaching became a safety net to fall back on.  To be honest, I have lost friends because of this attitude.  I don't believe retention is the issue, I think its getting the right people.  We should be doing more to find the teachers and encourage them to study to become teachers.  I knew I was going to be a teacher since I was 10 years old.  I know that this is my calling in life and I respect it more than I could every put into words.  I have spent years working with youth trying to find the right age group for me to work with.  These are the strategies we should have in place to secure teachers.  I think teacher prep programs need to have higher expectations form their applicants.  Tutoring is wonderful, but have you worked with all levels, in and out of the class?  Do you know what age group you will be most effective with, or are you trying to get your feet wet with student teaching.  Personally I think its too late at this point to decide what age group to work with.  It will not surprise me when half the teachers from the year's program are out in a few years.  What about schools like National, or Phoenix, where students are "buying" their credential?  I will get off my soap box, but one last comment, we need great teachers not warm bodies.  We need to design some sort of filtering process to guarantee that we get great teachers, then train them, then give them support.  Pay is simply a sign of respect, but I know any real teacher doesn't concern themself with pay.  My greatest compensation has not been monitory, it has been the letters from previous students that still come on my birthday.  The students will tell you if you have impacted them not a paycheck, and to me that is at the heart of every great teacher.  Retention comes from the heart not from surrounding someone with mentors.  Just my humble opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment